The Council functions on public basis and it was created by the purpose of studying practices of advanced countries of the world and applying them in Azerbaijan as well as, application of methodology and standards adopted in the practice of international statistics correspondingly to the policy implemented by the State Statistical Committee in the field of official statistics, creation of new statistics fields in the system of official statistics and preparation of suggestions and recommendations on statistical methodology on reform of available statistical fields and improvement of it.
The Council implements its activities on the basis of the Constitution of the Azerbaijan Republic, the Laws of the Azerbaijan Republic, decrees and orders of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic, decisions and orders of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Regulation of the State Statistical Committee, its orders, decisions and directions, other normative-legal acts, as well as, this Regulation.
The Council implements its activities with the structural sectors of the State Statistical Committee, with the agencies subordinate legal status of the Committee and with the scientific and educational enterprises.
The main purpose of the Council is consist of applying methodology and standards adopted in the international statistical practice according to the policy implemented by the State Statistical Committee, creation of new statistical fields, official statistical report and other forms of statistical observations in the official statistical system, as well as, reform of available statistical fields and improvement of them according to the social-economic processes carried out in the country, preparation of suggestions based on scientific-methodology and practice and adoption of decisions within their powers. By this purpose the Council:
- coordinates national statistical methodology to the international methodology and activities on constantly improvement of it;
- improves official statistical report forms, constantly simplifies and unificates them and carries out constantly activities on gradually reducing the statistical burden of natural and legal entities presented report;
- controls new statistical report forms, statistical surveys, inquires, monitoring, as well as other types of statistical observations planned by the Departments of the State Statistical Committee and documents presented to the Council and determines compliance of them to the international conceptions, classifications and methods;
- gives comments to the application of advanced information technologies as well as, software on statistical reports and indicators system in the state statistical bodies;
- gives comments and reference to the scientific- researches and reports on statistical fields carried out by scientific and educational institutions and entered to the Committee for the comment;
- if necessary, discuses other scientific-methodological issues on organization and activity of official statistics by the initiative of members of the Council, structural units of the State Statistical Committee and organizations under its subordination;
Prepares recommendations on methodological issues in accordance with the instructions of the Chairman and the Board of the State Statistical Committee.